Getting to Know Elder Barb

Carrying experience and knowledge, including Sacred Traditional Knowledge, as an Elder of the Turtle Clan (Mohawk Nation, Iroquois Confederacy), an educator, and an Indigenous woman would allow me to contribute a distinctive and underrepresented perspective on how ongoing and emerging issues  in Canada.

I am sanctioned by The Iroquois Confederacy to serve based on the diverse Traditional Teachings I received, which include more than 40 years of teachings from Elder Tom Porter (Bear Clan) who is the Spiritual Leader of the The Iroquois Confederacy, 40 years from Chief Earl R. Hill (Wolf Clan), 16 years under the personal tutelage of Grandmother Elder Sara D. Smith (Turtle Clan, Mohawk Nation, Grand River Territory), and more than 10 years of instruction by Elder Ted Silverhand (Bear Clan, Tuscarora).

I serve and guide my community as a practicing Mohawk Elder. Over the last six years, I have also been a frequent Elder-in-Residence at the Kumik Elders Lodge, a service provided for the benefit of Indigenous employees of the federal government, their families, and Non-Indigenous Allies. As an Elder-in-Residence, I provide one-on-one counselling on Personal and Spiritual Matters, I deliver small and large group teachings, I advise Kumik staff and public servants on protocol, and share Traditional Knowledge passed on by Master Teachers. I also travel, educate, and heal different groups across the country, including seniors, women, members of visible minorities, LGBTQ+ persons, individuals with disabilities, and members of various Indigenous communities (such as the communities on Manitoulin Island, and members of the Anishinaabe and Cree communities).

My extensive training in Traditional Medicine and Indigenous Healing Practices, and my background in community work and education allowed me to bring forward my skills and capabilities to assist the federal government with some of its challenging undertakings. The federal government frequently calls upon me to open and close national meetings and conferences in a way that demonstrates respect for the Indigenous stewards of the land and waters, and supports the purpose of the events. I was chosen as one of the Elders to conduct ceremonies for the opening of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, and provide support to the families of the victims. I also conducted the closing ceremonies when the centre block of the Parliament of Canada moved for renovations (2019). In 2015, I worked with other Elders to conduct the opening ceremony for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s incoming government and cabinet.

I conducted ceremonies for the Honourable Carolyn Bennett and her staff from at the Department of Crown-Indigenous Relations. At that time, I was also thinking through the future of Indigenous-Crown Relations and planting seeds to assist Minister Bennett and her staff understand ongoing challenges, with the hopes of developing new programs that address the needs of seniors in the various communities I’ve served, particularly marginalized groups such as racialized groups and women.

Additionally, I was involved with the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as ongoing healing work, for individuals working on the National Strategy to Combat Human Trafficking conference in Toronto (2019) under former Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale. My role was to provide support to a multidisciplinary group including law enforcement officers, victims, social workers, and public servants, hold space for them, and assist with their emotional transitions during this difficult work. This was a vital and difficult conference to work on, as it brought together different segments of society who are affected by or working on combatting human trafficking. Upon its conclusion, I provided support to the victims in attendance.

I have also provided advice on an ongoing basis to Canadian Forces Base Trenton, and have assisted with several traditional ceremonies.

Along with my Elder-in-training, Jenny Gomez, I supported Policy Horizons Canada and the Privy Council Office with the development of the Canada Beyond 150 program, a policy innovation training program. Over several months, I shared my experience and Indigenous Teachings with participants to introduce a divergent way of thinking about policy. I created safe spaces in which people could work, think through difficult issues, and let their creativity flow freely. I also advised Policy Horizons Canada on the project as it matured, and worked to bridge the gaps between past, present, and future generations of policy leaders.

I completed my studies and training at Humber College-Toronto as a developmental services worker, and have taken several courses at Nipissing University to develop my professional skills as a classroom/educational assistant. I applied these skills to coach and supervise the Quinte Mohawk Dancers for 24 years, before turning my accumulated skills and experience toward a path that allowed me to focus on Indigenous Oral Tradition and Knowledge passed on by my Ancestors and Knowledge Keepers in my community (Tyendinaga) and Six Nations. I assisted our former Chief Earl R. Hill, during which he mentored me for over 40 years on community mobilization initiatives, and advocating improvements to the Indian Act and its renewal. 

I have been serving at the Woodland Cultural Centre Board of Governors for 27 years, and have been with the Loyalist College (under Colleges Ontario) for 8 years. I have also been associated with Centennial College for 10 years, and assisted with a community development program.

This combination of a conventional academic path, direct experience with community-serving organizations, and lifelong learning from prominent Indigenous Elders through Oral Tradition allows me to walk in two worlds and work on a wide range of topics, navigate complex dynamics and political structures, and continue to work on Reconciliation efforts by bridging understandings and reaching individuals on a personal level.

As an Elder responsible for working with individuals, healing them, and sharing Teachings that have been passed on to me by my Mentors and their Ancestors before them, I hold myself and my role to a very high ethical standard. In addition to helping individuals find their life purpose and enhance their wellbeing, I exercise judgement and integrity in my work in support of groups and communities. My work in education and with various community groups demonstrate superior interpersonal and communications skills, and a seasoned ability to facilitate hold conversations in balance, manage crises, and maintain the peace in very difficult situations. My diverse and complex work on behalf of the federal government demonstrates my analytical capacities and ability to learn quickly and adapt to shifting priorities while meeting tight timelines.

I believe my unique perspective, experiences, and skills allows me to bring meaningful contributions to all the projects I support. I can provide insights covering the diverse communities across the country, including seniors, women, members of the LGBTQ+, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, my own community, and other Indigienous communities.

In Peace and Friendship, Everlasting

Barb Brant

Turtle Clan

Mohawk Nation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resume for Barb Brant